Yummytimtam's Cross Stitch

Hi, welcome to my blog. This is about on one of my favorite crafts - namely cross stitch. Currently I'm doing various project rotations including Flaming June, Custom Cupid, Snow Wolves, Harmony, Watergarden, Alpine Seasons, Japanese Garden, Cranes, Angel of the Morning, Forest Goddess, The Abduction of Psych (beading), Persian Iris Garden, Mystery X and Cosima

Vivienne was born on 18 July 2005
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

New Toy/Tool

Part 2 of HDYGG is done. This part had the most annoying stitch for me to do, the Queen Stitch. I've decided this is the most annoying specialty stitch for me. Somehow it just doesn't sit well for me. After some frogging, part 2 is finally done. I had to use the magnifying glass as well in this part. I'm getting old. LOL

While doing this, specially with all the specialty stitches particularly on those QS. I found it quite difficult to hold or rest my q-snap. I need it to 'float' firmly to free up both my hands to stitch. I have been considering this for some time. The solution - get another lap frame. My stitching stand is good for the big scroll frame but not for the small 11 inch q-snap. So I searched and looked at various stands available and decided to create one. Then follow by a brief visit to Bunning (the hardware store) and one hour or so later in the garage. Voila, here is my new toy/tool

Well, I didn't make the whole lap frame, just the parts which hold the q-snap. They are attached to my old lap stand. But the spacer in the middle is too big for 11 inch q-snap but a 14 inch fits ok like this

I was able to finish this Part 2 much quicker and easier on it. The cost of this clamps - about A$12 for the woods, screws, springs and bolts. Pretty cheap and works too.  Now I need to make another smaller base which can hold 11 inch q-snap. And it can be very mobile that I can take it when travelling.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Bride is Done !!!!!

Hooray, just put in the last stitch and uploaded it. I'm so pleased.

Though the whole piece is not finished as yet. There are still lots of backstitching with gold metalic to be done, around the bouguet and their clothes. Then there are also the flowers around their feet which I was going to leave out, but now I think I will probably do them. Looking also closely at her dress, I think I will be creative and add some beads on them, particularly in the middle of the small flowers and I will also use black beads for the eyes of the dragon and phoenix on their clothes instead of 1 confetti black stitch each. So still some more works to be done , but I'm glad it's so close to a finish now.